Translate

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Portraits










While I love to paint figures and still life, I especially enjoy painting portraits. After seeing Malcolm Liepke's show (online) at the Arcadia Gallery in New York City, I have decided I need to paint a few more portraits.

I started painting my daughter, Leah, and my neighbor's little girl Anna Beth Lane, and like Liepke says about what attracted people to his work:

"It was the emotionality of the work, the connection to the people who were
painted and the faces. So, I decided to simplify the background and just
get rid of all that other stuff behind it. My work is about the connection
with the people I paint."
Unlike Liepke, I started with the portraits, and have recently taken on a more narrative quality in my figurative work.

No comments: